Long-term measurements in schools and pre-schools
Radon measurements in schools and preschools must be carried out in the same way as for workplaces, but with certain additions. The municipal environmental offices are the supervisory authority for radon measurements in schools and preschools and may have other requirements. Contact your local environmental office if you are unsure.
Plan and order your radon measurement:
- Measure for at least 60 days during the measurement season, which runs from 1 October to 30 April.
- The measurement must have at least 2 detectors per building.
- If the floor level has direct ground contact, you need to measure in every 5th room and have at least 1 detector per 200 m2. Direct ground contact means that they are located directly on the base plate or crawl space and have no basement space underneath.
- Other floors should be measured with 1 detector per 200 m2.
- If you have not already ordered your detectors, you can do so here.
There you will also find our calculator to help you work out how many detectors you need.
How to place the detectors:
- The measurement starts as soon as you open the individual aluminium bag.
- Register the measurement on the Customer Portal where you fill in the detector number, start date and other measurement data.
- Choose premises where students and staff spend the most time.
- Place the detectors as centrally as possible in the room:
- At least 25 cm from the floor, wall or ceiling.
- 1,5 metres from any air supply, front door or window, radiator or other heat source.
- At least 0.5 metres from the exhaust air outlet
- Preferably hanging on a string from the ceiling or ceiling light or lying on a shelf.
- Do not place the detectors in wet areas.
- Do not move the detectors during the measurement.
- Live and work as usual during the measurement.
- Heating and ventilation should be set as usual during the measurement.
Register your measurement:
- In order to create a report for your radon measurements, we need some information from you. Fill in this information on the Customer Portal.
- Log in to your customer profile with your existing user details or create a new user profile.
- Choose between 2 options to register your measurements.
Register Manually: For those with less volumes of detectors. This can be done directly on your customer profile.
Register with Excel: Recommended for those with larger volumes of detectors, allowing for easier handling of details and data. Simply download the formatted Excel file by clicking "Import with Excel"
- Once your measurements are complete and you are ready to return your detectors, fill in the end date for each detector.
- If you have used an excel file, don’t forget to upload it once you are finished. We need this information to complete your results.
When the measurement is finished:
- Collect the detectors after at least 60 days and record the end date on the Customer Portal.
- Send in the detectors as soon as the measurement is completed. Find your collection point here for free delivery back to us.
- If it takes more than 2 weeks from the end of the measurement until we receive the detectors, we may not be able to provide an annual average.
- You will receive your report by email within 5 days of receiving the detectors.
On the Customer Portal you can see all the measurements you have conducted and download the report in several file formats. These include pdf, excel, csv, or rad format.